Saturday, October 2, 2010

Interior Design: My Loft


After visiting several thrift shops in the bay area and reading a great number of interior design blogs, I was deeply inspired to decorate my loft when I moved into our new apartment this school year. Despite the minimal amount of space, I was determined to design every inch of it. Over the past couple of months, my interest in interior design has grown intensely. Every so often, I would find myself re-decorating my room and attempting to find new and innovative ways to make it more physically appealing. I believe that the way in which one designs his or her room communicates a lot about who that person is. For example, the majority of the items in my room are white because i like the simplicity of things, while the touch of floral represents the more feminine side of myself. In terms of lighting, I opted for something more unique. Thus, I used white christmas lights in replacement of the mere lamp. This adds a softer feel to the entire room.

As we learned in class, “design is everywhere,” even in the places that are not as often visited as others. Many of the items in my room are vintage and have been purchased at local thrift shops near my home. Shopping at thrift stores is like going on an adventure! You never know what you’re going to find and there are so many cheap and unique items that you normally couldn’t find else where. Each of the items that I have purchased from these shops are designed in an unusual or rare manner.

I love the experimentation that comes with interior design. There are various styles of design that one could choose from, such as contemporary, traditional, or vintage. For my loft, I leaned towards a more Vintage feel because of my interest in decorative antique items. Moreover, I enjoy the sense of freedom and creativity that it provides me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment