Saturday, October 2, 2010

First Design Experience: Sleeping Beauty Castle


When we moved to America, my mother took my older sister and I to our very first trip to Disneyland. I honestly did not know what to expect since my only depiction of this place came from my cousins stories of their own experiences there. As a child, growing up in the Philippines, I was not exposed to many of the things that other children had the opportunity to experience. Thus, you can imagine both my excitement and amazement when we first stepped foot into Disneyland!

Although every part of the place that stood out and had the most significant impact on my experience with design was the walkthrough within the Sleeping Beauty Castle. I remember I had just read Sleeping Beauty and walking through this castle was like being in a real life pop up book. If you were to run your hands against the walls within the castle, you would feel the hard stone bricked walls, which were perfectly aligned. On each side of these walls were shield shaped windows, which beautifully captures the story of Sleeping Beauty through the colorful and vibrant 3-D images displayed through them. Every single detail of this walk through played a significant role in the magical feeling that it presented individuals with. It felt as if I were directly within the book!

The walk through within the Sleeping Beauty castle in Disney Land was definitely one of the most memorable child hood experiences that I’ve had, in that it exposed me to an entirely magical world made up of various colors, lights, and shapes. Looking back, I realized that this experience truly opened up my imagination and allowed me to see things in a more creative light. I want to be able to provide individuals with the same magical and “out of this world” feeling that this place gave me. I want to open people’s eyes, hearts, and imagination through my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment